Wednesday, September 21, 2011

I Should Have Signed A Pre-Nup

So I was at a wedding last week. Don't worry, not mine. The single me is still in tact. Like I'm sure most of you are worried about.

No worries though, I'm still here.

Anyway, I was making my rounds at this wedding, and it was a grand occasion. One of my better friends, VRM Garth Shiftyeyes had finally taken his girl to the altar after close to two years of dating. They are a happy couple, an exciting couple, a couple that is madly and deeply in L-word. And while I stood on the side and watched him serenade her with "If Tomorrow Never Comes" I will say I felt overjoyed and happy for the duo.

While I was driving home that night I did however get to thinking about if a certain someone would have showed up at that reception as well. That someone who might have been a mutual friend of the Garth Shiftyeyes newlyweds. A someone who I might have dated and broken up with in the infamous "text-gate" scandal over six months ago; the Ginger Aggie.

It really wouldn't have been that big of a deal, I respect her and hopefully likewise, but I will say that the awkward bells might have been ringing in the background if we were to randomly bump into each other on the dance floor that night at the reception.

Swamp Thing: confused/perplexed/WTF look across my face "Oh...uh...hi. How are you uh...doing?"

Ginger Aggie: confused/perplexed/WTF look across her face "Uh, good. How uh, are you?"

Swamp Thing: "I'm uh, doing alright. Can't complain."

Ginger Aggie: "Yeah, neither can I."

It was at this point when the awkwardness would have been addressed.

Swamp Thing: "So uh, I didn't know that you'd be coming to the reception tonight. I mean, Garth Shiftyeyes and his wife were kinda like my friends to begin with."

Ginger Aggie: "Yeah, I know, so what? I knew her better than you did. I just thought I would show my support."

Swamp Thing: "Yeah, but they were my friends first."

Ginger Aggie: "So? That doesn't mean that you own them or anything!"

It was at this point when an all out mudslinging brawl would have erupted on the dance floor with the Elton John tune "Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting" ringing boldly in the background.

I use this fictional situation as an example of the mess that sometimes affects people once the relationship papers have been ripped up between them. It can be a sticky situation brewing if no boundaries have been set in stone as to who's property is who's, especially if that property is a victimless couple celebrating their nuptials.

Is there necessarily a right or wrong answer in these types of circumstances? Sure I may have known the couple first, but just because my relationship with the Ginger Aggie didn't progress does not mean that I can take my friends and go home with them as if I'm temper tantrum tossing third grader on the playground.

Young Swamp Thing: "NO! These are my friends! Mine! You can't have them!"

The maximum of awkward to say the least. And I think this awkwardness is approached on a constant basis whenever a serious relationship comes to a halt. Whether it's mutual friends, mutual pastimes, or a ragged old pair of blue basketball shorts, lines get drawn in the sand as to who's is who's.

This is something that will always exist. Until we as a humanity decide that we're going to live asexual, single, anti-relationship lives, there will continue to be the debate as to the ownership of a particular property between two parties.

I guess it's a good thing that the Ginger Aggie wasn't there. Because if she had been, I might have busted out my pre-nup.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad


.



Location:McKay-Dee Hospital

0 comments:

Post a Comment