Sunday, July 24, 2011

Week of Social Media


Did you miss me?

Yes, it has been a long eight days since my last post, and amidst a near slurping down of digital media purple Kool-Aid stirred up by Jim Jones mid-week, I have returned to the forum of blogging. But hey, I’m still here. As I hope all 35 of you readers are.

A trend that I started up two months ago was the discussion of a certain topic for an entire week. Last month at the end of the Week of Dating, I premised that I would have the Week of Marriage this month. Why did I say this? I have no idea. I am probably the last person on the face of this earth who has any smidgen of a clue as to how marriage works. If I were to actually write the Week of Marriage one would be laughing in spite of themselves at my skewed misconceptions.

With that being said, I will alter this month’s week topic to the Week of Digital/Social Media. Or what some people call it, the Week of our Desensitization to Interpersonal Interactions.

Cue the background music of the Rocky and Bullwinkle show.

We live in a world where if one does not have access to an electronic device with a wi-fi connection and a slur of 1’s and 0’s, one does not have a social life. I mean, if you don’t have an iPhone, then, you don’t have an iPhone. Or you’re not a communal douchebag either.

Sad to say, I have an iPhone.

Whether it’s Facebook, or text messaging, or twitter, anyone and everyone uses some type of digital media to interact with one another. I’ll give ten bucks to the first person who doesn’t have a 15-year old cousin named Ashley who averages 3,500 text messages a week. We all have these technology-addicted relatives. Or maybe you reading this is that 15-year old technology addicted relative.

You probably have an iPhone.

Ten years ago if you were to tell me that the world we live in rotates around status updates, blog posts, or a social media circle you have just been invited to on Google+, I would have said, “What are you talking about? Give me that booze you pumpkin pie-haircutted freak.” (LTT) But then again, ten years ago I had just turned 16, had an awkward doorstep scene with my first kiss, and my main goal in life was to beat the game Rayman 2 all in one sitting on my PlayStation. HA! PlayStation.

But that was then, and this is now. This is the age of electronic media governing our actions and interactions, whether face-to-face or via webcam. This is the era where like’s and +1’s define who and what we appreciate. This is the epoch where twitter feeds characterize our own character. And what will things be like in ten years? Good question. There will be more to come.

More from the mind of the communal douchebag.

Location:My Basement

0 comments:

Post a Comment