Sunday, April 13, 2014

The Big "5-0-0"!

I have now reached the ripe old age of 500 blogposts, it's ok. Hold your applause.

For full effect, download "Soldier's Poem" by Muse, and play at maximum volume throughout the duration of this post.

Usually when people hit a monumental moment in their careers, it causes a moment of reflection where they can look back on the highs and the lows, the best and the worst, they place a set of rose-colored glasses over their eyes as they reflect on the moments of their past.

But blogging is not a career. Actually, it is more of a journal. And I've told you that before. These posts aren't for you, they are for my kids. They are posts written to see how their dad grew up. How he changed. How he experienced joy, and how he screwed up. These posts are written so they can understand how he became the man who raised them.

With that being said, I have kept a written journal since I was six years old. That sounds ludicrous, I know. Keep in mind there have been times here and there where I haven't been very consistent. But since my senior year of high school, I've been keeping this habit every single night. And so, to commemorate my 500th post, I'll share with you some entries from those pages. If you like it, that's great. If you think I'm selfish and narcissistic, I really don't care. Because remember, these words are not for you.

October 1, 1991: I went to ropes course. It was fun. I climed a ladder. My favorite part of my body is my back. It’s strong. I like ninja turtles. they’re cool. This is my journal.

June 24, 1994: Dear Journal, This is something I would never tell another human being=I actually think Kasey Critchfield is pretty. She’s a !babe! I think she actually thinks I’m cute. She’s the babe in the class.

May 19, 1995: Dear Journal, I like this girl named Krystle Bailey. I told Drew and he called her and told her I liked her. So my life is over.

January 1, 1997: DJ, I Brock Bybee have made a few New Years resolutions. 1. To be more mature. 2. To not drink pop. 3. To be more nice. 4. To write more. Come on in “97”!

June 26, 1999: I hate it when you see a girl, and you know you can’t get over her. It makes me sick. Oh well, as High Adventure says, “Deal With It”.

October 27, 2001: I’ve always thought it would be good to start writing in my journal again.

October 28, 2001: See, you’re doing better. Just keep doing this for the rest of your life every night, and you’ll be fine.

February 22, 2002: Well, my career in high school basketball is over. We lost to Lone Peak tonight. Man it hurts. After the game we were all bawling. It sucks. I can’t believe it’s over. We have laid a great foundation for the future and it’s sad to go.

June 2, 2004: …And so it begins. My journey as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints has begun. I’m on my way.

March 7, 2005: Hey. P-Day. Today was good. I got hit by a car today. Yeah, that wasn’t the best. I’ll tell you what, Virginia drivers suck. The lady didn’t even look both ways when she came to a stop. It blew me away. It’s all good though. I put a couple dents in her car.

July 22, 2005: I feel like Satan is standing in front of me and kicking me in the nuts. Yeah, crazy. This heat is killing me. I sweat like a mother on the doors. People all the time say, “Stay out of the heat.” Oh, okay. We’ll try! Yeah, stupidity runs rampant.

June 2, 2006: Now that’s a date I never thought I would write in this journal. Well at least make it to. It’s seemed so far away for so long. But now it’s come and gone and life continues to move forward. Pretty crazy though, to think 2 years ago what I was doing. I still read that first entry and see how young and naïve I was.

January 1, 2008: In my mind, I kind of think New Year’s Resolutions are a joke. Why do you have to wait until January 1, to start making changes? But as I sit here late at night pondering the outcome of my life, I have to wonder who I will become at this same time next year. Who will I be at the end of this book? I need to be someone to look up to, to rely on. Whether it’s a brother, a friend or a son, it doesn’t matter. I need to improve.

May 17, 2008: I am really at the end of my rope with these seizures. They seriously are making it so I am unreliable in a time of my life when a lot of people are looking up to me for help. Yeah it sure ticks me off. Dr.’s keep giving me thr run that just covers it all. It just warms me all out. *** It is what all is true and what will help *** me. L uckily my Grandpa is there is the man to help the most here. I swear, if I didn’t have a man which *** worked so had. S*uch as hm, Who know what I would do. I am grateful to have in *** my life.

May 18, 2008: The above journal entry is how confused and lost I am after having a seizure. I had one while writing and tried to piece together my thoughts.

June 20, 2009: I got up and Grandpa and I went to breakfast at our restaurant, One Man Band. Good times…

June 8, 2010: I got the call from H.R. today letting me know about the recruiting job, which I did get. Which I’m stoked for! It will be awesome!

September 9, 2010: I feel like a bloated cow. Cleaned the sink at Angie’s tonight. All by myself. Which means I ate one freaking sink of ice cream. It’s gonna take a while to work this off.

March 13, 2011: And it’s finally over. I did the deed of breaking up with Jo today. Somewhat of an awkward text was accidentally sent in advance, but hey, what can you do? She was upset. I don’t blame her. Life goes on. Laura asked me if I’m afraid of getting married. I don’t think so…

January 20, 2012: I don’t know where to begin. Grandpa died this morning. One of the most harrowing, yet beautiful moments I have ever witnessed. I’m in shock right now and it’s hard to understand what life will be like now. Life is strange, so very strange. And my life will be different now that my best friend is somewhere else.

June 4, 2013: So I bought a house today. Yes kids, you read that entry right. Kind of crazy, I know.

July 12, 2013: I'm almost to the point where I’m in, I’m settled, I can sleep in my new house. I must say I am fortunate to have people like Brett and C.J. and Quin, and Jonathan to be in my life and to help me out as much as they do. Friendships like those are what make life great.

Take my journals out of my life and you’ve got my entire documented history on paper. However, these entries may just be words on a screen to you because these are not points in YOUR life. You don’t understand what my life has been like. And likewise, I have no stinking clue what yours has been like either. But remembering moments like these and holding on to them, well, that’s something no one can take from you.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment