Sunday, March 30, 2014

It's Gonna Be Legen, Wait For It...

Tomorrow night, part of me is going to die.

For full effect, download "Hey Beautiful" by The Solids, and play at maximum volume throughout the duration of this post.

Tomorrow night, a part of my life is ending. Over. No mas. A decade of my life that has been filled with laughs, tears, blue French horns, red cowboy boots, duck ties, goats and rabbits, is finally complete. Tomorrow night, the curtain for How I Met Your Mother finally comes to a close.

I've never really had an attachment to a show as much as I have for How I Met Your Mother. Don't get me wrong, there have been shows I have enjoyed and binge watched for days, shows like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles when I was a kid, News Radio and Star Trek growing up, Breaking Bad and Community over the last few years, but no show in the history of my nearly thirty year-existence has had as much of an influence on my life as How I Met Your Mother.

I think the reason this show has had such an impact is because it is the most realistic, most relatable show I have ever seen; relatable because it is real to me. For instance, I don't know what it's like to be a reptilian creature morphed by ooze living in the sewers fighting crime, or a Klingon weapons manager getting beamed from one planet to another. Heck, there is no way in the world I know what it's like to be a chemistry teacher who sells meth and kills people just to pay for the chemo bills my cancer is racking up.

But I know what Robin Scherbatsky feels like when she has to tell someone she doesn’t love them. I know how Lily Aldrin feels when she debates the direction her career is headed. I know what it’s like to have friends like Barney Stinson who always offer you the highest of fives. I know how Marshall Erickson felt when he said goodbye to his Dad for the last time. I know how Ted Mosby feels when he wanders along aimlessly looking for his future wife.

And that’s the thing that has made this show so fantastic. The characters, the moments, the life lessons, everything that this show has produced over the last decade are moments that every one of us can relate to. They are memories that all of us have. They are people that have influenced us on so many levels. They are the deep conversations we have had at MacLaren’s Pub at 2 am.

So tomorrow, we say goodbye. Goodbye to the suits. Goodbye to Canada. Goodbye to a lawyer. Goodbye to a teacher. Goodbye to a yellow umbrella. Goodbye to five best friends whose lives have essentially been ours for the last nine years.

Tomorrow, we say goodbye to a show that has been Legen-wait for it-Dary.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment