Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Ain't That A Kick In The Head?

Every so often there are moments in life that suck worse than any single movie starring Drew Barrymore. Moments that make you sit back in your chair, frustratingly shake your head, and mutter out the acronym WTF in confusion. Moments that feel like a manila envelope giving you a paper cut underneath your thumbnail.

Yeah, today has been one of those moments.

For full effect, download either "You Can't Always Get What You Want" by the Rolling Stones, or "Ain't That A Kick In The Head" by Dean Martin and play at maximum volume throughout the duration of this post.

Before you get involved in this post, let me mention that this is not a cry for help, this is not a pathetic plea to my readers about how sorry my life is, this is not a 'woe-is-me' syndromic diatribe that I am typing in hopes of getting some putrid gesture of sympathy from one of you 40 readers out there. This is just my life in a nutshell.

Exactly one month ago, I thought I was on top of the world, I would stare into my mirror and mimic Leonardo DiCaprio's famous line from "Titanic". I really thought I had everything going my way. I had my life semi-planned out the way that I wanted it to be, the way that I thought it should be. There was a light at the end of the current tunnel I was barreling through. But oh how amusing it is when life grabs you by the collar and delivers a swift kick to the nut sack to that glimmer of hope that you once held on to.

And now I sit in a perplexed position muttering the acronyms WTF and POS, meanwhile karma is somewhere out there ROTFLMAO in spite. Yeah, life sure sucks sometimes doesn't it? One moment you can do no wrong, you have everything going for you, and in one foul swoop life sucks and all you want to do is lay in bed, watch reruns of day time talk shows and have a diet consisting only of Ben & Jerry's.

What do you do when that happens? Now that my friends, is one heck of a conundrum.

I'm not here to pass out some kind of motivational advice to any of you, and try to deliver a "feel-good" message for the day. Because honestly, I'm too pissed off to give anyone else any condolences right now. But as I sit here staring out the window at the red leaves falling around the hospital, contemplating every sort of rejection I have received in my life in the last 15 minutes, meanwhile an ailing father figure coughs his lungs up in the room next to me, the only thing I can remember is that life is hard. And we just have to keep going.

One of my favorite movie scenes comes from the film "A League Of Their Own". The movie is about women's professional baseball in the mid-1940's, and the successes that they had. In one of the scenes, a star player, Geena Davis decides to quit the team and go home. Her manager, Tom Hanks, calls her out on her decision and asks her why. This is their conversation.

Geena Davis: (in response to her quitting) "It just got too hard."

Tom Hanks: "Its supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, then everyone would do it. It's the hard that makes it great."

It is quotes like this that help get me out of bed in the morning. Oh and, pass the Ben & Jerry's would ya?




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad





Location: McKay-Dee Hospital

0 comments:

Post a Comment